Friday, November 28, 2008

Jill Scott "Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds vol.1", Hidden Beach, 2000

This is just my personal story on how I came about Jill Scott.

I recently heard in the podcast "The Official Twisted Funk Show", when Marc Mac, of 4 Hero, was talking to DJ Rumble about his work with Jill Scott. And that reminded me with my first encounter with Jill Scott a long time ago.

I first heard Jill Scott when she toured with Th Roots for "Things Fall Apart" tour in 1999, where she came in for Erykah Badu. Then, I began hearing her on GIlles Peterson "Worldwide" on BBC Radio1. I was going "Who is Jill Scott?", that people talked about. That was around the time when BBC Radio started Internet broadcast, not podcast, but real-time streaming. And being such an experimentalist, Gilles did live video streaming from, I think, Maida Vale studio. (This was like 1999, and considering it now, it was real forefront challenge in terms of technology and Internet.) And that night's guest was Jill Scott. It was really amazing show, I remember. with full band. She sang tracks from herf album

I personally saw her solo concert, this time I think some of The Roots played with her. She was, and still is, great singer and performer, with such charizma and vocal power
on stage.

Oh, and one other thing. When this Album came out, I bought CD. "CD"! Such a history word.

Jill Scott "Who Is Jill Scott, Words and Sounds vol.1", Hidden Beach Recordings, 2000
Download


1. Jilltro
2. Do you remember?
3. Exclusively
4. Gettin' in the way
5. A long walk
6. I think it's better
7. He loves me
8. It's love
9. The way
10. Honey Malasses
11. Love rain
12. The roots (Interlude)
13. Slowly Surely
14. One is the magic #
15. Watching me
16. Brotha
17. Show me
Hidden track: Try/Love Rain remix feat. Mos Def

Jill Scott bio from Jillscott.com

Twisted Funk
Twisted Funk on Myspace
Marc Mac 4 Hero on Myspace
DJ Rumble of DBR on Myspace

No comments: